Saturday, June 29, 2013

Rhiannon Celebrates a Decade of Surviving Whisper!


This past June I have officially been a horse owner of 10 years! I got my first horse, Whisper, as a four year old greenbroke pleasure horse. We were kind of a mess in the beginning, neither of us really knew what we were doing. She reared, she threw fits, she helped me take out a fence with my face. We'd spend the next four years battling over who was the boss (with occasional rematches even to this day).

We made a lot of progress together through lunging. I've made it very clear that do not appreciate being charged at or dragged (she attempted but was not successful). We also learned that Whisper could not turn on a dime without falling over, lucky for me I wasn't on her back.  Having said that, she has laid down under saddle before. That was interesting.

But since then we've conquered fly spray, trailers, trails, roads, bridges, small jumps, crossing bodies of water, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee!

So we're "tight" right? Yeah... about that, remeber when I said we still host a rematch every now and then to see who's boss? Well, also in this lovely month of June is my birthday. If the weather allows, I always ride. So I rode my OTTB first and he gave me a great ride. I decided to ride Whisper bareback, I do it all the time) and what do you think happened folks? Did I have a nice little birthday ride?

NO! No I didn't. She threw me twice. Taking a six foot dive to the hard ground is not cool, especially if you've owned the horse 10 years! Ten years and I've taken great care of this mare people. Sigh* Here's to 10 more brat!
Since she'd thrown me the day before, I felt the Grinch shirt was most appropriate


No comments:

Post a Comment