Thursday, April 18, 2013

It's The Apocalypse! No, Wait... It's Just Finals

Alright peeps you've been training for this for the last three months, it's time to show 'em what you got!
It's just like riding: keep your stress down and your pencils up!

Time to make your flashcards! When I was in high school my U.S. History told the class that he'd read that you really don't learn something until you've "learned" it 9 times. Nine is apparently a magic number. Right now you're thinking "I was already going to make flashcards, this is a waste of my time!"

Relax, relax, 9 is magic. I have taken a number of Art History classes. You have to memorize tons of names, dates, titles, and locations for those classes. Naturally I made flashcards. I then divided them into groups of 9 cards. I read each card 9 times, and when I finished a group, I tried to give all the information on the artwork that I could remember, then move on to the next set of 9 and repeat the information on them 9 times and so on. Usually after the second group of nine cards, I repeat all that I can from groups 1 and 2 before moving on to the next group. Sounds like a lot of work, but I did SO MUCH BETTER on my test studying that way. Just give the 9s a try!

Switch it up! Study one thing for a little while and then study something else. Take breaks. Your brain gets bored and tired! If you can't focus just take a little break.

Pull up that song that always makes you feel better, watch that funny cat video, just remember to come back to studying in a timely manner. Have a little mini dance party, I do all the time.
Hey, it's finals, we'll forgive you your guilty pleasures... for now...
Food is also important (when is it not O.o) According to my Pilates teacher, sugar makes you tired. Protein, however, will keep you going. It gives you energy (not wings). Greek Yogurt ( I recommend Chobani), peanut butter, whole grain/ wheat, fruit all make good snacks that will keep you going.

One professor swears by studying out loud, I've only done that for a language class so, I'm not sure about that one. Can't hurt though, can it?

And for the love of horses people, get some sleep! Do you ride well with a tired body? Probably not as well as on a well rested body, why should you expect your brain to do any better?

Okay, you're break has been long enough, go do some more studying. Good Luck on all of your finals!

No comments:

Post a Comment